Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Nothing

Today I'm linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker's Five Minute Fridays. Join us? 

Nothing - well that's about what I feel like I've got today. I'm showing up with nothing. As a recovering co-dependent, there's freedom in that nothing. There is nothing that I have to do for someone else in order to ensure my emotional well being. There is nothing of yours that I have to pick up and carry.

It's still easy to find myself slipping backwards into those old habits and patterns. Reaching out to make sure that everyone else is happy, and ignoring my own needs in the process. Reaching out to care for my husband, to help him process through his feelings after yet another merry-go-round ride of blame, criticism and silence. I don't have to do that. I can walk away. I can do nothing. There's freedom there around this nothing word.

It's bigger than my husband. There isn't anything I have to do to make you like me, to make myself belong. I'm allowed to show up, with nothing but myself and that nothing + me, that's enough. I don't have to earn acceptance and belonging. It simply is - and there's nothing I can do about it. 


9 comments:

  1. Your words resonate with me. My job was eliminated effective this past January...it has taken me awhile to learn to live into the potential of "nothing" - with all the options and possibilities and opportunities that is affording me. I never would have quit my job to pursue my writing, but I am embracing this new "career nothingness" to see what will come next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing a part of your journey here. I'm glad that you are in a place where you can open up your heart to embrace your new nothing and see what comes from it.

      Delete
  2. "There is nothing of yours that I have to pick up and carry." Amen. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! I have CHOSEN YOU as the FMF writer today over on the FMF Facebook page! We choose one writer a day on the FMF prompt word and today I chose yours. YOUR WORDS are filled with truth on the work Nothing! thank you for sharing your truth. Great Job! go on over to the FMF Facebook page to see your blog highlighted today

    -Karen

    https://www.facebook.com/fiveminutefriday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Praying the same thing for the women where I am...to be who we are unmade and unmasked and to keep walking forward together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a fellow co-dependent in recovery I love the line: "There's freedom there around this nothing word." Such freedom when we get it right within us. Such freedom from the self-imposed chore of making sure everything is peaceful if only to relieve me of the responsibility of someone else's happiness.
    Freedom in the nothing. I missed this FMF post; so glad I visited the Facebook page and found it. Thank you. Awesome piece.
    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete