Pages

Friday, July 25, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Finish

There are a million different ways to use this word of finish. The idea of it being what protects and gives wood projects that extra bit of beauty. In recovery and healing we talk about how it's not about the destination, but the journey is what's important. There isn't a finish. That's freedom from perfectionism and discouraging all at the same time.

I could write about how you have to persevere through that last mile to get to the finish line, but the last time that I ran was in middle school where I usually finished dead last. There's not a lot there to talk about.

What if finish is something that needs a reframe in my life? It sounds final, probably because that's the way we use it. The last step in woodworking or handicrafts, the end of the race, the completion of a project. We finish with school, with degrees, with seasons in our lives. It so often is synonymous with endings.

Paul writes about finishing well. Which is important, but hello perfectionism and comparison. Most days it's all I can do to start. Because that's necessary, isn't it? In order to finish anything, we must first start. And after we finish, we must start again, somewhere, with something else.

When I allow finishing to become part of the pattern, the rhythm of the way it works, all of a sudden it no longer feels like an unattainable goal that I'm not sure I want to reach. Finish becomes a place of beginning again. That I know how to do.

Linking up with the community at Five Minute Friday. Come join us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment